Wednesday 9 December 2015

I'm back

I had a really nice break in VIC. I think with the change of environment and routine I forgot I was sick at times. It was lovely to catch up with friends and family, and just take a break.

I also really enjoyed NOT having chemo on Friday, which was a fortnight from my last round. I've been taking too easy to know if I've been having any fatigue, but its been great to be almost 100% side effect free.

I don't like to complain about the chemo though, it's great that I have access to it - and for free - and it seems to be doing its job, but it was nice to have a break.

Here is what I'm up to today.
Bowel Prep, for my colonoscopy tomorrow. I have to drink one sachet at 12pm, one at 4pm and one at 8pm.

This is my 3rd bowel prep and my 2nd colonoscopy. It's no big deal really. I'm a bit hungry (I have to fast all day). I'm staying very close to the toilet. It gives me a chance to catch up on emails and housework. Both of which are out of control at the moment! And it's really windy outside which I don't like. Good day to stay inside!
And thank goodness I'm still allowed to drink (black) tea and coffee!

Another element to bowel prep is a low fibre diet for 2 days before fasting.

After finding out I'm sick we've adjusted how I eat, and I've settled into a diet focused on low GI (Glycemic Index) foods, lots of fresh fruit, veggies and salads, and avoiding any processed foods. This is mainly because cancer cells love sugar, and lots of fruits and veggies have anti cancer properties, although to be fair that is mainly prevention, not cure. It's actually a really nice way to eat though.

A low fibre diet is not great in my opinion. You pretty much have to cut out all fresh fruit and veggies, only a few veggies are OK and you have to boil them to death! But this is the first time I've done the low fibre diet since modifying my own diet, and this time I enjoyed treating myself to food not usually allowed on my regime, including fish and chips, toast, croissants and white bread rolls.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that the best thing about this prep - the get out of jail free card for eating mush and stodgy old carbs cos the doctors tell you to!!!
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete