Monday 11 January 2016

Round 8 Day 4 - Ashes to Ashes

Lets get the bad bits out of the way first:

  • I spent all of Saturday in Bed. All of it.
  • I spent all of Sunday morning spewing up.
  • My skin is like paper. Thin paper. Really gross thin paper.
  • David Bowie died today.

I don't like to focus on the negative, but sometimes it helps to acknowledge it. I'd already started writing this blog when I got the news about Bowie. Shows just how trivial my other grumbles are.

I'm not going to attempt to say something profound about his death or his life, I'm terrible at that. I am really sad about it, but I can't really put it into sensible words.

What I can find the words for is much more selfish. Bowie's is the most publicised cancer death I've encountered since my diagnosis. I have to admit that in some ways I've found it confronting. The news is still really fresh at the moment. Already I'm already struck by two things.

  • The acceptance. It's hard to explain, I mean is there is no outrage, no shock. Just acceptance. Cancer. Game over. People aren't asking how his death could have been prevented.
  • People in the media using the phrase 'long battle of 18 months'. 18 months is not a long battle. It's brutally short. I know no harm is meant but I don't like it.

OK grumbling over. Now the positive stuff:

  • It's only day 4 and I'm up and about. I've had a pretty nice day.
  • The nurses were really good about the spewing when I went in to get my bottle removed yesterday and organised some new meds which did the trick.
  • One of our sunflowers is flowering!


I could go on all day about the positives, I have so much to be grateful for. Here's one last thing to be grateful about, from Actor Simon Pegg:

"If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billions years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."

1 comment:

  1. And your connection to David Bowie is stronger than most. He lost his battle - you're still fighting yours. Life's a bitch sometimes. I heard that Simon Pegg quote on the radio too. We must all take some solace in being around for that x

    ReplyDelete